Design Manager / UX Lead
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2023
We’re looking for an experienced UX designer and design manager to lead our multi-disciplinary design team as a player-coach. Reporting to the VP of Product, you’ll work closely with product, engineering and leadership to define the future of Slang’s conversation AI product and B2B customer dashboard.
- User research: Conduct generative user research with customers and potential customers to better understand their needs and establish clear user personas that inform design work.
- Information architecture: Translate research insights into appropriate mental models and system structures for how the Slang customer dashboard and conversation should be structured.
- Interaction design: Develop and user-test prototypes for new features for the Slang customer dashboard.
- UX mentorship: As the most senior UX designer at the company, mentor our product designer and conversation designer in the practice.
- People management: Help our design team succeed at Slang, level-up their skills, and nurture their professional development.
- Design practice leadership: Develop startup-appropriate design team processes that produce top-notch user experiences across web and voice interfaces. e.g. following best practices, performing design reviews, managing our design system, establishing and evangelizing our product design principles, creating and managing project plans, etc.
- Engineering & Product Collaboration: Participate in strategic brainstorming and decision-making about product opportunities and direction with our VP of Engineering and VP of Product. Establish and iterate on best practices for how design collaborates with product and engineering. e.g. user research and brainstorming during product discovery, design spec documentation and handoff to engineering, etc.
- 8+ years of experience in UX design and research. You can demonstrate a strong portfolio of shipped digital products, especially B2B products developed at a startup.
- Demonstrated ability to balance the structure and flexibility a startup needs to be successful. This applies to your own work and the work of your team.
- Experience managing and leading high-performing design teams. You bring out the best in designers through feedback, coaching, and growth opportunities.
- Strong communication skills to present designs, explain rationale, and influence stakeholders. You know how to tailor your message to the audience.
Nice to Haves:
- Familiarity with the restaurant and hospitality industry.
- Experience in voice interfaces or AI.
- Experience in leading brand and marketing design.
- Something else you think is awesome that you think can help us succeed!
If this sounds like you, we would love to see your portfolio and chat!
Healthcare fully compensated
Calling a business shouldn’t feel like a robot-hostage situation, where you’re forced to listen to horrible music and can't reach a human, while enduring a soulless voice uttering "I'm sorry I didn't quite get that" on repeat for eternity. (shudder) That’s why we started Slang.ai. We use the latest AI and audio wizardry to make transacting via voice so enjoyable it’s more human than human. By 2030, we will save businesses and consumers 1 billion minutes of precious time while transforming voice channels into the preferred mode of communication (it's faster and easier than text).
We have backgrounds building product at companies like Spotify, Buzzfeed, the New York Times, and OpenTable —shipping experiences that have reached hundreds of millions of users. Now, we’re using our backgrounds to start a new culture, one that puts product and human-centered design above all else while fostering constant learning and growth. Sound like something you’d like to be part of? Get on board.
Overachiever Fever. We’re overachievers (we don’t know any other way)
Learner Fervor. We take every opportunity to learn (especially when it’s hard)
Humility Ability. We approach each other with curiosity and openness (know-it-alls not welcome!)
SMB MVP. We’re an expert member of our customers’ teams (we earn their trust)